Crunchy on the outside, creamy on the inside, little balls of YUM!
These are made using the recipe I posted previously Mushroom, Spinach & Pea Risotto Vegan Style. I make a double batch every time I make risotty , knowing that The Gardener has a particular fondness for these crunchy snackable things. He would claim that actually I should make risotto JUST to make these. But that would take too long, much better to have a delicious creamy risotto one day and these ready to whip up & serve with a salad the next.
They can also be scaled up or down in size quite easily, so .. could be made into mini balls around the size of a large walnut for a party pleasing and stomach lining canapé, or be made into a larger balls for lunches and picnics and are as tasty hot- or at room temperature.
I have also discovered that instead of using an egg wash to stick the breadcrumbs to the rice, that a Tbs of ground flaxseed mixed with warm water until an egg-white type consistency actually works better. Way better!
- 2 - 3 cups leftover Risotto - See my recipe from previous post
- 1Tbs Ground Flax Seed mixed with warm water
- 1/3- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 Tbs sesame seeds (optional, but add an extra tasty crunch
- Oil for pan frying
- Roll golf ball size balls of risotto
- Dip in the flax mix
- Roll in the breadcrumbs and sesame seeds
- Gently pan fry until golden on the outside and warmed through
- You could also bake in the oven if you wished- I would spray or lightly coat with a little oil to create a really nice crust.
- Serve with a salad or as part of a tapas spread.