This tangy avocado based dip is everything you could ever want in a dip. Creamy from the Avocado, salty from the olives, spicy from the jalapenos with a citrus zing from some added lemon.
I tried something similar in Australia, bought in a greengrocer, which was supposed to be part of a picnic. I ate almost the whole lot on my own. It’s that delicious.
Now, greengrocers in Aus are a completely different beast to the UK. They’re a huge part of Aussie life, often as big as a supermarket, and stuffed full of all the amazing fruit and veggie you can imagine. Almost all of them have a side line in amazing fresh dips, crackers, freshly made ready meals, olives, deli items and all kinds of dried and tinned pulses and nuts. Think Wholefoods markets, but run independently. I love going to them just to see all the amazing variety available, and can never leave without buying way to much to eat.
I’d never tasted a dip quite like it, and just had to try and recreate the flavour to bring back to the UK. I’m super glad I did, because I served it to some friends last weekend and they adored it too.
So here it is. It serves around 6 people for dipping and snacking. Try not to eat it all before your guests arrive.
- 1 ripe avocado
- 200g drained pitted green olives (Good quality jarred is fine)
- 5-10 slices of jarred Jalapeño peppers (go mild, or go crazy)
- 1 spring onion
- Juice 1/2 lemon
- Whizz the whole lot up in a food processor. Taste for spicyness and add extra Jalapeños if you want more heat.
- Serve in a pretty bowl with some yummy crackers or crudites.
- If you're making this for more than 4 people, I suggest you make double. It's that good.