There is a theme this month… Harissa! My current obsession knows no bounds and so I must share ALL the things I’ve been making with it.
I’m a big fan of bowl food too. It’s quick, comforting and nourishing. It can seem a little ‘worthy’ so I like to add other bits & bobs on top for added texture. So in this one I’ve added pinenuts, mostly because I love them.
I know quinoa has a bit of a posh-hippy middle class reputation, but – at the risk of sounding like one ( oh – wait… hang on- I think I MIGHT be one.. ooops—- anyway) it is really rather actually rather good. It’s light, fluffy and takes on other flavours beautifully- perfect for bowl food. Plus it’s full of protein & amino acids, is gluten free and really rather actually delicious.
The secret is to make the quinoa fluffy- and give it a bit of flavour.
What’s your quinoa go- to recipe??
Harissa Spiced Quinoa with Kale & Pinenuts Recipe
Makes enough for 2- easily scaled up for more people!
For the Quinoa:
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp Marigold stock- or other boullion
For the Vegetables
- Greens- 1 cup- I used kale- but cabbage or broccoli or similar would also be delicious
- 1 pepper – or 3 mini peppers- chopped into 1cm pieces
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 1/2 tsp harissa
- Juice half lemon
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- Rinse- and rinse again. This takes away any impurities & any residues.
- Put double the volume of water as to quinoa and mix in the marigold boullion
- Bring to the boil, then simmer for approx 20mins- until the grains double in size & their little ‘tails’ pop out. Keep on a very very low heat until the water steams off ( careful here! Don’t burn the grains!)
The Pine Nuts
- Gently toast these in an un-oiled frying pan until brown. Careful! These catch easily.
- Stir fry the peppers, onions & garlic until soft plus a little ‘caught’ on the edges ( slightly charred)
- Add in the greens and harissa plus half the lemon juice & stir fry until soft
- Add a little salt & pepper to taste
- Then- add in the quinoa & mix in the rest of the lemon juice. Add a little more salt & pepper to taste if needed.
To Serve- Sprinkle over the pine nuts & serve with extra wedges of lemon.