29 Jan Harrissa Cabbage Stir Fry with Chia seed dressing.
This came about to use up some cabbage I had languishing in the fridge, and because we needed an extra hit of greens for supper… and because, January turned into Harissa Month- and because I had bought a HUGE pack of chia seeds and then realised that- who am i kidding- I hate porridgy sweet stuff, no matter how cool it is right now as a dessert or breakfast food, which seems to be the main use for chia, but also thought that the vitamins, trace minerals and other goodness might turn into a little extra crunch in a stir fry, even if they didn’t add particularly to the flavour. SOo..
Also- I love getting a charred edge on brassicas, whether in an oven or in a wok, it makes them taste extra special.
This is super easy – and quick. Just like this post!
Harrissa Cabbage Stir Fry with Chia seed dressing.
Great as a side dish for 2
- 1/2 a white cabbage- chopped into ribbons
- 1 red pepper ( or yellow! or orange!) – chopped into ribbons
- 1 Tbs oil- such as olive oil or rapeseed
For the Dressing:
- 1 1/2 tsp harissa
- 1/2 lemon
- 1tbs white wine or mirin
- 1Tbs chia seeds
- 1 (or 2) cloves garlic
- Salt & Pepper to tase
- Heat a wok reeeeeeallllly high. With no oil in… for now.
- Toss in the cabbage & pepper strips. You want to ever so slightly char these – yet remain a bit crunchy.
- Whisk together the dressing until combined and toss into the wok.
- Mix everything around, then put on the biggest saucepan lid you have & let everything steam for around 2 -3 minutes.
- Serve warm in a bowl alongside other yummy vege dishes.
Do you have any non-porridgy uses for Chia Seeds? Other than using them as an egg substitute? Let me know in the comments!