We’ve been growing peppers in our greenhouse along with the tomatoes & my prized aubergine plant. Amazingly due to the warmth we’ve had all the way up until Mid-October these have kept on producing
We grew a variety of types- in various sizes, from mini fat ones & perfect middle sized specimens through to long & elegant, however through negligence, forgot to label which ones were which, so it was a bit of a surprise for us which plant has produced which variety. All have ended up quite tender & thin-skinned, but with a very sweet flavour. Unfortunately I find green peppers quite difficult to digest raw, so decided to stuff them & see what happened, and what a success this has been.
The first time I came up with this recipe, we had Chinese take-away the night before (a guilty pleasure) & had leftover egg fried rice, plus half a block of feta hanging around the fridge. What with all the fresh herbs in the garden, plus some chillis that had just ripened, these just begged to be made. The next time I made these, I used left-over rice that I had cooked to eat with stir-fry veges, & the time after that, the ‘pre-cooked’ rice you get in packs to microwave ( I know…wasteful- but I often have some on hand for hangry, I need food now moments)
These peppers are just as good as a side dish for a large lunch or as a nearly complete meal in themselves. They work really well with stewed runner beans with tomatoes….(recipe to come soon!)
You Need: Makes enough for 4 largish or 6 small peppers
- 4 – 6 peppers
- 1 small onion- finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove- finely chopped
- 250g pre-cooked rice (weight once cooked)
- 1 pack feta
- 1 small chilli- de-seeded & finely chopped
- 1 tsp of dried oregano
- 1tsp of mild chilli powder
- pinch salt
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1Tbs olive oil
- Pre- heat the oven to gas mark 7/220 C
- Fry the onion, chilli, garlic in a tsp of the olive oil until the onion is translucent.
- Mix in the pre-cooked rice & spices, cook until soft- make sure you incorporate all the spices.
- Remove from the heat & allow to cool for a few minutes
- For the peppers- halve the long ones down their long side, remove the seeds & lay cut side up on an oven proof tray.
- For the little round ones take their tops off, remove the seeds & put on the tray with the long peppers.
- Slick the outside of all the peppers with olive oil.
- Crumble the feta & mix it through the now cooler..rice mix.
- Stuff the peppers- be quite generous with them, mound the filling up over the top of the pepper. ( I use a combo of a teaspoon & my hands to do this)
- Place in the oven for approx 20 mins- You want a lovely crunchy looking top, & the peppers to be quite soft.
- Serve either immediately- or these taste just as good at room temperature, making them great for mezze/buffet style lunch.