I love smoked paprika, it’s a key ingredient in chorizo, which, oddly, is really the only meat product I miss (bacon- pah!)- so when I discovered that you can get the delicious smoky flavour, that I adore, without eating pork sausages, I was overjoyed. I use it in lots of oven bakes & vegetarian chilli’s, it imparts a unique Spanish warming flavour & with chickpeas (garbanzos!) it is just divine.
This bake is one of my go-too recipes in winter. It’s easy, pretty much hands-free, and is really flexible..
This time I’ve used sweet potato, but in the past I’ve used all kinds of root veges- potatoes, parsnips, carrots, and also pumpkin. I pretty much always use chickpeas, but have also used kidney beans, cannellini beans..
Equally, I’ve at times not always used halloumi- this dish is just as good without which makes it vegan friendly.
This is really more an ‘idea’ more than a recipe- fudge it, change it- it’s forgiving. And to me, that is it’s beauty.
You need ( this makes enough for 2 people plus leftovers as a main- or 4-6 as a side)
- a large baking dish
- 2 large potatoes or sweet potatoes per person chopped into 1″ pieces
- 1 large red pepper (or orange, or yellow) chopped into 1″ pieces
- 1 large onion chopped into 1″ pieces
- 6-8 cloves of garlic (keep them in their papery shells)
- 1 tsp-1/2 tsp of smoked paprika
- 1 can chick peas
- 1 pack halloumi
- 1 tsp mild chilli powder
- 2-3 sprigs of thyme- ( or 1 tsp dried)
- 1 tsp oregano (if you have it)
- salt & pepper
- 1Tbs Olive O
- Heat the oven to Gas Mark 7 /210 C
- Toss in your nice big baking dish the potato, onion, garlic & pepper with the oil, salt, herbs & spices
- Pop in the oven for around 10 mins
- Meanwhile, rinse the tin of chickpeas & chop the halloumi into 2cm squares.
- Open the oven, toss the chickpeas & halloumi into the dish, giving it all a good stir to coat in the paprikery oil
- Leave another 10 mins, then toss again- by this time, the chickpeas should be starting to take colour, the potatoes should be soft & the onions caramlising.
- Leave another 5 mins- whilst you make a salad or steam veg or whatever
- Serve hot
- Eat the leftovers the next day… yum!