This addictive & tasty tray baked potato dish is so much a beloved winter basic in our household that I had forgotten that maybe not everyone will know it!
The flavours are loosely based on Patatas Bravas, that spicy potato staple you find in all tapas places, however instead of frying, I coat the potato chunks in a mix of Smoked Paprika, herbs and olive oil before baking them until crunchy & crispy on the outside & soft & fluffy in the interior.
It’s pretty easy to mix and change up, depending on what you want to serve it with, which is probably why I make it so often.
To make it even more ‘Spanish’ I like serving it with a good dollop of vegan Alioli- I use my basic Aquafaba mayo recipe & increase the garlic even more to get that gorgeously garlicky flavour. Alternatively I like to drizzle over a Tahini, garlic and lemon sauce. Equally lush.
I’ve been known to throw in whole garlic cloves to the pan whilst roasting, and often ad-lib with extra dried herbs for a pretty zing. The best bit is, that like most tray bakes, you can get on with whatever else you’re cooking and just stir it about a bit half way through.
I’d like to say that I just serve this as a side or as part of a tapas spread, but, truth is, often we just scarf these smokey, paprika spiked potatoes on their own with a glass of wine.
Nothing could be nicer really.
Note: These are excellent the next day, so allow for at least two medium potatoes per person!
- 4 Medium Potatoes, cut into 2-3 cm cubes.
- 2 teaspoons Smoked Paprika
- 2 Tbs Olive oil
- Flaky Sea Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme or oregano
- whole cloves garlic
- Tabasco or other chilli sauce.
- Dice the potatoes. I like to leave the skin on.
- On a baking tray, lay the potatoes out in a layer
- Slick with the oil, then sprinkle over the paprika, herbs and chilli sauce if using.
- Mix around so the potatoes are evenly covered
- Bake in the oven for 10 mins at Gas Mark 7 / 220C
- Turn & return to the oven for another 10 mins.
- Check if crispy, if not, turn the oven up a bit and crispify a bit more.
- Add the alioli or tahini sauce of your choice and eat.
- Allow 2 Medium Potatoes Per Person, or even more. Leftovers are perfect for using with a tofu scramble, or eaten cold out of the fridge when you get home ravenous from work. (shhhh)