As I’ve already posted, I love to make a vast batch of Veggie Bean Chilli & stash some away for use later in the week, or freeze some for emergency meals later.
This vegetarian ( and vegan!) chilli (recipe here) is really versatile. Usually I just eat it with some salad and maybe a chunk of bread, but it can be taken to a whole other level of comfort food with the addition of mashed potato & a sprinkle of leeks & cheese and baked in the oven. I should probably add- I don’t think I would have the patience to make this entire dish in one go. The Veggie Bean Chilli is already a marathon of cooking, but that’s why I cook so much of it all at once. This is more of a suggestion with what else to do with the chilli once you have made a vat of it & enjoyed it all on its own already.
This is perfect winter food, comforting, wholesome & warm. Make it vegan by substituting butter for vegan margarine and omitting the cheese- maybe add a bit of extra texture on top with more shredded leeks or some breadcrumbs.
I like to make mine in dinky little ramekins, but this works just as nicely in a family sized casserole dish. It’ll need longer in the oven if it’s a larger dish.
- Vegetarian Bean Cottage Pie2016-01-03 17:10:13Write a reviewPrep Time30 minCook Time25 minPrep Time30 minCook Time25 minIngredients
- 2 cups of Vege Bean Chilli - Room temperature! Not frozen or fridge cold.
- Either 2 ramekins or a larger oven proof casserole dish
- 3 large potatoes- peeled & cut into big chunks
- 1/2 small leek- shredded into very fine strips
- cheddar or other similar cheese to grate over top
- splash milk
- knob of butter
- salt & pepper to taste
Poppy and the Bees http://poppyandthebees.com/
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 7/220C
- Boil the potatoes until soft, then drain.
- Put them back in the pot on the stove for 5 seconds. This will evaoporate any excess moisture & give you a fluffier mash
- Add the milk & butter & heat for a few seconds.
- Remove from the stove top & mash until fluffy. Season to tase
- Grease your casseroles or ramekins
- Spoon the Vege Bean Chilli into the casserole/ramekins in an even layer. About half way up the pot
- Carefully spoon the mashed potatoes over the beans in an even layer.
- Sprinkle the leeks and cheese over the mashed potatoes
- Put in the oven for 20 mins- Check to see that all is heated through as the time will depend on the size of the dish. If the top is browning but all isn’t heated through yet, cover with foil & put back in the oven
- Eat with some peas, beans or a crispy salad